A project schedule highlights the critical activities and milestones, offers the basis for resource planning, and provides the foundation for cost monitoring and control.
The process includes:
- Identification of key actions and milestones enabling the delivery of the project;
- Identifying and documenting relationships among programme/project activities;
- Estimating the quantities and types of materials, equipment, supplies, or number of people required to perform each activity;
- Assessing the number of work periods required to complete activities including an assessment of estimated resources;
- Analysing the sequence, duration, resource requirements and schedule constraints of activities, to create the programme/project schedule;
- Monitoring the status of the program/project to update progress, together with managing changes to the schedule baseline.